Like many Berwyn residents, I couldn’t help thinking, “Another Italian restaurant?” when I heard that Tiramisu was opening in the former Royal Tea House/La Petite Maison space. But, one look at this spot has changed my mind.
Tiramisu’s menu of Roman Jewish cuisine is approachable and comforting, and unique when compared to the other nearby Italian restaurants (here and here). Softly lit and cozy, the restaurant opened this past Tuesday and is already drawing the curious neighborhood crowd. Seating fills the entire Royal Tea House space, making it a larger place than the former La Petite Maison (which only shared the space).
Tiramisu is owned by the individual operating Il Tartufo in Manayunk, which also offers Italian Jewish cuisine. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner seven days a week. The following is a sneak peak of some of the menu highlights. I didn’t grab the dessert menu, but we all know what to order, right?
- Carpiofi Alla Giudea – Roman Jewish artichokes cooked in olive oil
- Spiedino Romano – Brochette of prosciutto and mozzarella in an anchovy sauce
- Straciatella Romana – Egg drop soup with spinach and parmesan in a chicken consommé
- Capellini Marsalino – Angel hair pasta with veal sausage, sundried tomatoes and caramelized onions
- Ravioli Con Aragosta – Lobster ravioli and lump crabmeat, in a cognac sauce
- Fettuccini Alla Ebraica – Homemade fettuccine with artichokes, mushrooms and herbs in a light tomato sauce
- Pollo Sorrentino – Breast of chicken sautéed with eggplants, prosciutto and fresh mozzarella in a marsala wine sauce
- Pesce Misto – Mixed seafood grilled with garlic and fresh herbs
- Vitello con Porcini – Scaloppini of veal with porcini mushrooms, marasala wine and black truffles
- Risotto Con Granchi – Arborio rice with lump crabmeat and radicchio
Tiramisu is located at 720 Lancaster Avenue in Berwyn. Call 610.906.3299 for reservations.